Sahasrara, or the Crown Chakra, derives its distinguished title from its eminent position at the summit of the human energy system. Situated at the very top of the head, it evokes the image of a regal crown, symbolizing its overarching influence on the spiritual sphere.
As the ultimate chakra among the 7 chakras, the Crown Chakra presides over its counterparts, offering a gateway to divine wisdom and cosmic consciousness beyond the confines of ordinary existence. Its radiant aura exudes the essence of transcendence, beckoning spiritual seekers to explore the realms of elevated knowledge and enlightenment.
Some people believe that the Buddha opened the seventh chakra while meditating under the Bodhi tree, and then gained a profound understanding of reality, past and future, as well as other supernatural knowledge.
LotusBuddhas is not sure if this is accurate because it is not mentioned in Buddhist scriptures. However, a true story from 8 years ago is that the aunt of one of our organization’s members unlocked their Crown Chakra, and afterwards, that person became someone else. It was like an invisible force had taken control of their mind. The family took the aunt to the doctor and she was diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. Until now, the illness of the aunt has not improved. This has made some members of LotusBuddhas feel worried when they want to experience for themselves what happens when opening and balancing the Crown Chakra.
What is the Crown Chakra?
|Name||Sahasrara, also known as the Crown Chakra|
|Sanskrit Name||Sahasrara, meaning “thousand-petaled”|
|Location||At the very top or ‘crown’ of the head|
|Symbol||A thousand-petaled lotus|
|Color||Violet or white|
|Element||Cosmic energy, or thought; traditionally it isn’t associated with a physical element as it’s considered transcendent|
|Associated Gland||Pineal Gland and Hypothalamus|
|Physical Association||Brain, nervous system|
|Psychological Function||Awareness, understanding, enlightenment|
|Goals||Spiritual connection, self-realization, enlightenment, unity|
|Basic Rights||To know and to learn|
|Imbalanced Attributes||Spiritual cynicism, learning difficulties, rigid belief systems, apathy, materialism, greed, domination of others, mental illness, confusion, and alienation|
|Balancing Techniques||Meditation, prayer, mindfulness practices, spending time in silence and in nature, Reiki healing, sound therapy|
|Crystals and Stones||Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Selenite, White Calcite, Lepidolite|
|Affirmations||“I am one with the universe.”, “I am open to divine wisdom.”, “I am at peace.”, “I trust my inner knowing.”|
|Mantra||AH or OM|
The Crown Chakra also known as Sahasrara in Sanskrit, is the seventh and final primary chakra in the subtle energy system as outlined in ancient Indian spiritual traditions. Located at the top of the head or slightly above, the Crown Chakra is believed to be the center of spirituality, enlightenment and divine consciousness. It acts as the connecting point between the individual and the universal source of energy, facilitating the flow of cosmic consciousness and the experience of oneness with the universe.
As the highest chakra in the human energy system, Sahasrara Chakra governs our spiritual connection, wisdom, and inner guidance. It is associated with the color violet or white and is symbolized by a thousand-petaled lotus, representing the ultimate state of spiritual awareness and transcendence.
When the Crown Chakra is balanced, it allows for the free flow of energy and the experience of pure, unfiltered awareness. This balance fosters a deep sense of spiritual connection, inner peace and expanded consciousness. Individuals with a balanced Crown Chakra often exhibit a strong sense of purpose, a connection to their higher selves, and an understanding of the interconnectedness of all things.
Conversely, an imbalanced or blocked Crown Chakra can lead to feelings of disconnection, spiritual apathy and a lack of purpose in life. Common symptoms of an imbalanced Sahasrara Chakra include confusion, cynicism, close-mindedness, and an inability to trust one’s own intuition or the wisdom of the universe.
Signs of overactivity in the Crown Chakra
An overactive Crown Chakra can manifest in various ways, leading to an imbalance in one’s spiritual and emotional well-being. Some signs of overactivity in the Crown Chakra include:
Spiritual obsession: An excessive focus on spirituality and metaphysical matters can lead to an unhealthy obsession, causing individuals to neglect their physical and emotional needs, as well as their relationships with others.
Disconnection from the body: An overactive Crown Chakra may result in an overwhelming sense of detachment from one’s physical body, leading to a lack of self-care and disregard for one’s health and well-being.
Excessive intellectualism: Overemphasis on intellectual pursuits and rationality may cause a disconnection from emotions, intuition and the importance of interpersonal relationships.
Narcissism or egocentrism: A heightened sense of spiritual superiority or entitlement can foster narcissistic or egocentric tendencies, as individuals may feel they possess special knowledge or abilities that place them above others.
Ego inflation: Ironically, the quest for spiritual enlightenment can sometimes feed the very ego it seeks to transcend. Unblocking the Crown Chakra without humility and self-awareness can lead to a sense of spiritual superiority, causing one to look down upon others who have not yet embarked on the same journey. This inflated sense of self can hinder genuine spiritual growth and create discord within personal relationships.
Escapism: The desire to escape from the challenges and responsibilities of daily life can lead to an unhealthy reliance on spiritual practices or experiences as a means of avoiding reality.
Sensitivity to light and sound: Overactivity in the Crown Chakra may result in heightened sensitivity to external stimuli, particularly light and sound, causing discomfort or disorientation.
Chronic fatigue: The excessive flow of energy through an overactive Crown Chakra can lead to feelings of constant exhaustion and difficulty focusing on daily tasks. Symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and sleep disturbances may arise if the flow of energy is not properly regulated. It is essential to listen to your body and maintain harmony among all the chakras to ensure holistic well-being.
Signs of a blocked Crown Chakra
A balanced Crown Chakra allows us to experience spiritual growth and unity with the universe, creating a sense of peace and contentment. However, when this chakra is blocked or out of balance, it can lead to various physical, emotional, and spiritual imbalances. Here are some of the signs of a blocked Crown Chakra:
- Spiritual disconnection: One of the most common signs of a blocked Crown Chakra is a feeling of disconnection or detachment from spirit or the universe. You may feel cynical about spirituality or unable to understand or see the deeper meaning in life.
- Isolation and Loneliness: You might feel isolated or lonely, as though you are disconnected from the world around you. This may also manifest as feeling misunderstood or disconnected from those around you.
- Mental fog: You may experience a lack of clarity, difficulty concentrating, or indecisiveness. There might be a constant ‘fogginess’ that prevents you from understanding complex concepts or thinking clearly.
- Depression: A blocked Crown Chakra can often lead to feelings of depression or apathy. You might feel hopeless, uninterested in things you once enjoyed, or lacking in energy and motivation.
- Physical symptoms: Physical signs can include neurological disorders, nerve pain, thyroid issues, headaches, insomnia, and other sleep disorders. The Crown Chakra is also linked with the central nervous system and the brain, so issues with these areas could signify an imbalance.
- Lack of purpose or direction: Without a clear connection to the universal energy, you may feel lost or without a sense of purpose. Life may seem pointless or aimless, leading to feelings of despair or existential dread.
Balancing and healing a blocked Crown Chakra is a journey of embracing spirituality and connecting to the divine energy that permeates the universe. Meditation, mindfulness, spiritual practices, yoga poses that open the crown of the head, and the use of specific crystals can all help in realigning and re-energizing this chakra. Always approach this process with patience, kindness towards self and an open mind.
Best crystals for the Crown Chakra
Crystals, with their unique energy frequencies, are often used to balance and activate this chakra. Here are some of the best crystals for the Crown Chakra:
- Clear Quartz: Known as the ‘master healer,’ Clear Quartz can amplify energy, enhance psychic abilities, and attune to spiritual purpose. It is known to stimulate the Crown Chakra and aid in reaching higher states of consciousness.
- Amethyst: Amethyst’s calming energy can enhance meditation practices, boost spiritual wisdom, and open up intuition. Its high spiritual vibration makes it an excellent stone for the Crown Chakra.
- Selenite: This crystal promotes a sense of peace and clarity of mind. It can aid in spiritual development, help connect with higher realms, and open and activate the Crown Chakra.
- White Calcite: White Calcite can amplify energy, improve memory, and support spiritual growth. It helps to clear mental blocks, encouraging spiritual insight, making it beneficial for the Crown Chakra.
- Howlite: Known for its calming properties, Howlite can promote serenity, patience, and a more contemplative state of being. It aids in connecting with spiritual dimensions, making it ideal for the Crown Chakra.
- Lepidolite: This stone of transition brings deep emotional healing and reduces stress and depression. It can help in opening the Crown Chakra and tuning into higher knowledge and wisdom.
These crystals can be used in various ways to balance the Crown Chakra, such as placing them on the top of your head during meditation, carrying them with you, wearing them as jewelry, or placing them in your environment. Remember to cleanse and charge your crystals regularly to maintain their healing properties. As each person resonates differently with each crystal, it’s important to choose those that you feel most drawn to. Trust your intuition in this process.
Yoga poses to stimulate the Crown Chakra
Yoga can serve as a powerful tool for aligning and balancing your chakras. When it comes to the Crown Chakra, or Sahasrara, certain asanas can assist in stimulating this energy center, promoting enlightenment, universal connection and spiritual growth.
- Headstand (Sirsasana): This inversion brings blood flow to the crown of the head, stimulating the Sahasrara chakra. It fosters clarity and enhances focus, while offering a new perspective of the world.
- Lotus Pose (Padmasana): This classic seated posture represents spiritual awakening and the unfurling of consciousness, just like the lotus flower itself. It helps quiet the mind, facilitating meditation and connection to the divine.
- Savasana (Corpse Pose): This pose promotes deep relaxation and surrender, opening the way for a deep spiritual connection and activation of the Crown Chakra. It is a great pose for meditation and inner exploration.
- Tree Pose (Vrksasana): This balancing pose helps ground your energy through the root chakra and encourages it to rise up to the crown, stimulating a connection between earthly existence and spiritual expansion.
- Supported Headstand (Salamba Sirsasana): While this pose may require practice and should be performed under the guidance of a qualified teacher, it can provide a profound stimulation to the Crown Chakra, increasing blood flow to the brain and enhancing mental function.
- Fish Pose (Matsyasana): With the crown of your head lightly touching the mat, this pose gently stimulates Sahasrara while opening the heart and throat chakras.
You have to remember to focus your attention on the crown of your head while performing these poses to enhance the activation of the Crown Chakra. Visualization techniques, such as picturing a radiant violet or white light at the crown of the head, can be used in conjunction with these yoga postures to further stimulate the Sahasrara. As with all yoga practices, it’s important to listen to your body’s needs and modify poses as necessary, maintaining a steady and mindful breath throughout your practice. Always consult with a qualified yoga teacher if you’re new to the practice or working with advanced poses like the headstand.
How to balance and heal Crown Chakra
Balancing and healing the Crown Chakra is essential for maintaining spiritual growth and overall well-being. The following practices can be employed to restore harmony and promote healing in the Crown Chakra:
Meditation: Regular meditation, especially techniques focused on connecting with the higher self or the universe, can help open and balance the Crown Chakra. Guided meditations, visualizations, or silent contemplation can facilitate a deeper spiritual connection and enhance the flow of energy.
Breathing exercises: Conscious breathing practices, such as pranayama, can help regulate the flow of energy within the body, supporting the balance of the Crown Chakra and promoting mental clarity and calmness.
Mantra chanting: Chanting the seed mantra “AH” or “OM” can stimulate and harmonize the energy of the Crown Chakra, reinforcing spiritual connection and inner peace.
Healing crystals: Utilizing healing crystals such as clear quartz, amethyst, or selenite can help cleanse, balance, and amplify the energy of the Crown Chakra. Place the crystals on or near the crown during meditation or energy healing sessions, or carry them with you throughout the day.
Aromatherapy: Essential oils such as frankincense, lavender, sandalwood, or myrrh can be used to support the balance and healing of the Crown Chakra. Diffuse the oils in your living space, apply them topically (diluted with a carrier oil), or use them during meditation or energy healing practices.
Spend time in nature: Connecting with nature and engaging in outdoor activities can help ground and balance the energy of the Crown Chakra, promoting a sense of unity with the environment and the greater universe.
Develop a spiritual practice: Cultivating a daily spiritual practice, such as prayer, mindfulness, or journaling, can foster a deeper connection with your higher self and the divine, supporting the balance of the Crown Chakra.
Practice gratitude and compassion: Embracing gratitude and compassion for oneself and others can facilitate the opening and healing of the Crown Chakra, allowing for a more profound sense of interconnectedness and unity.
Benefits of a balanced Crown Chakra
A balanced Crown Chakra offers numerous benefits that can positively impact various aspects of an individual’s life, from emotional well-being to spiritual growth.
Spiritual connection: A balanced Crown Chakra fosters a strong connection with the higher self, the universe, and the divine, promoting a deeper sense of spirituality and a greater understanding of one’s place within the cosmos.
Expanded consciousness: With a balanced Sahasrara Chakra, individuals can experience a heightened sense of awareness and an expanded consciousness, allowing them to perceive the interconnectedness of all existence and access higher realms of wisdom and insight.
Inner peace and tranquility: A harmonious Crown Chakra contributes to a state of inner peace and tranquility, as individuals become more attuned to their spiritual nature and less influenced by external stressors or distractions.
Enhanced intuition and guidance: With a balanced Crown Chakra, individuals can more easily tap into their intuitive abilities and receive guidance from their higher selves or spiritual sources, enabling them to make better decisions and navigate life’s challenges with greater ease.
Sense of purpose and direction: A balanced Sahasrara Chakra can help individuals cultivate a clear sense of purpose and direction in life, as they gain a better understanding of their spiritual path and the unique gifts they have to offer the world.
Creativity and inspiration: When the Crown Chakra is in harmony, it can unlock creativity and inspiration, allowing individuals to explore new ideas and express themselves more authentically and freely.
Emotional and mental well-being: A balanced Crown Chakra can contribute to improved emotional and mental well-being, as individuals become more capable of managing stress, anxiety, and other emotional challenges.
Personal growth and transformation: With a harmonious Crown Chakra, individuals are better equipped to embark on a journey of personal growth and transformation, as they become more open to learning, self-reflection, and the pursuit of spiritual wisdom.
Although there are many benefits but the Crown Chakra is a dangerous chakra, so if you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t try to unlock the seventh chakra. Sincere advice from LotusBuddhas. Instead, you can learn about the other 6 chakras such as Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, and Third Eye Chakra.