Immerse yourself in the ancient practice of yoga by attending one of the many remarkable retreats across the UK. You’ll find programs to suit every level, from beginners looking to learn the foundations to advanced practitioners looking to deepen their practice.
This article will introduce you to the 10 best yoga retreats in the UK so you can immerse yourself in peaceful natural environments, whether amid rolling hills in the countryside or peaceful beaches. Focus inward as you detach from the outside world and experience the countless benefits of yoga for the body, mind and spirit. Then you return home feeling refreshed, renewed and inspired after your transformative yoga course.
1. Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre (London)
- Website: https://sivanandalondon.org/
- Address: 51 Felsham Rd, London SW15 1AZ, UK
The Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre is a globally recognized institution dedicated to the practice and teachings of classical yoga and Vedanta philosophy. Founded by Swami Vishnudevananda in 1959, the centre is a direct offshoot of the teachings of Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh, India. Swami Vishnudevananda, a disciple of Swami Sivananda, was instructed to spread the essence of yoga to the West, leading to the foundation of the first Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre in Montreal, Canada. Today, the organization has multiple branches across the globe.
The teachings of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre hinge on the five basic principles of yoga delineated by Swami Vishnudevananda: proper exercise (Asanas), proper breathing (Pranayama), proper relaxation (Savasana), proper diet (vegetarian), and positive thinking and meditation (Vedanta and Dhyana).
At the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre, you are introduced to a comprehensive yoga experience rooted in tradition. Here are the primary practices you can engage in:
- Asana Classes: These are typically structured around the Sivananda sequence, starting with pranayama, followed by Sun Salutations, and a series of 12 foundational postures. The sequence is designed to cultivate flexibility, strength, and balance in both body and mind.
- Meditation and Mantras: Sessions begin and end with chanting, fostering a sense of devotion and concentration. Additionally, regular meditation sessions are held, where you can delve deep into the practice of silent introspection.
- Courses and Workshops: You have the opportunity to partake in beginner courses, advanced asana classes, and thematic workshops. Topics can range from deep dives into specific postures, yogic philosophy, or specialized practices like prenatal yoga.
- Satsang: This is a spiritual gathering that includes meditative chanting, a lecture or talk on aspects of yogic philosophy, and a meditation session. It offers a platform for reflection, devotion and community.
- Special Events and Retreats: The centre frequently hosts visiting swamis and yogacharyas, offering unique workshops, lectures and intensive retreats. This allows you to engage with various facets of yoga and Vedanta under the guidance of seasoned practitioners.
- Teacher Training: For those looking to deepen their practice or aspire to teach, the centre offers Teacher Training Courses, providing in-depth knowledge of asanas, pranayama, anatomy and yogic philosophy.
To ascertain the most current schedule and offerings at the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre, it is advisable to refer to their official website or establish direct contact with the institution.
Reference more: What is Sivananda Yoga?
2. The Life Centre (London)
- Website: https://thelifecentre.com/
- Address: 15 Edge Street, Notting Hill, London, W8 7PN, UK
Escape the chaos of city living by stepping into The Life Centre, a sanctuary for yoga and holistic wellbeing in the heart of London. Established in 1993, The Life Centre quickly became a pioneering hub welcoming both devoted yogis and newcomers. For over 25 years, you can rely on The Life Centre to provide an array of top-notch classes, workshops, and courses to suit your needs, whether you are a novice or seasoned practitioner.
Immerse yourself in The Life Centre’s foundational mission to create an urban oasis – a welcoming space to retreat, recharge, and rediscover your innate sense of balance and vitality. With prime locations in Notting Hill and Islington, you can easily access their expertise in yoga traditions and mind-body practices.
As a visitor or student at The Life Centre, you are presented with a myriad of experiences tailored to enhance your holistic well-being:
- Yoga Classes: One of the primary offerings of The Life Centre, yoga classes cater to a range of proficiencies and preferences. Here, you can engage in styles like Hatha, Iyengar, Ashtanga, Vinyasa Flow, Restorative, and Jivamukti, among others.
- Pilates and Barre: Beyond traditional yoga, you can also explore Pilates and Barre classes, designed to enhance core strength, flexibility and alignment.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Recognizing the importance of mental and emotional well-being, The Life Centre offers regular meditation sessions and courses in mindfulness. These sessions guide you in cultivating inner stillness, enhancing focus, and fostering a deeper sense of presence.
- Workshops and Courses: The centre frequently hosts workshops that delve deep into specific aspects of yoga, meditation and holistic health. Whether you’re keen on mastering a particular posture, understanding yogic philosophy, or exploring related practices like Ayurveda, there’s a rich tapestry of knowledge awaiting you.
- Teacher Training: If you are inclined to transition from student to teacher, The Life Centre boasts a comprehensive Teacher Training programme. Here, you can acquire the skills, knowledge, and certification to share the transformative power of yoga with others.
- Therapies: Beyond group sessions, The Life Centre is home to numerous therapists offering treatments ranging from massage and acupuncture to more specialized therapies like craniosacral therapy and reflexology.
3. Wild Yoga Glencoe
- Website: https://www.wildyogaglencoe.co.uk/
- Address: The Carnoch, Glencoe, Ballachulish PH49 4HS, UK
Situated amidst the majestic mountains and glens of the Scottish Highlands, Wild Yoga Glencoe offers deeply rejuvenating yoga retreats and outdoor adventures. Founded in 2016, Wild Yoga Glencoe is based near the village of Glencoe, surrounded by breathtaking scenery and abundant nature.
Immerse yourself in the tranquil atmosphere as you practice yoga in woodland clearings, beside waterfalls, or on the shores of lochs. Expert teachers guide you through yoga styles like Hatha, Vinyasa Flow, and Restorative, while activities like forest bathing and sound healing complement your practice.
At Wild Yoga Glencoe, you can expect a range of experiences:
- Outdoor Yoga Classes: The primary offering here is yoga sessions amidst nature. Whether on the shores of a serene loch or atop a hill with panoramic views, you engage in a practice that feels profoundly grounding and connected to the Earth.
- Meditation and Mindfulness: Beyond the physical asanas, Wild Yoga Glencoe emphasizes the importance of inner stillness. Surrounded by the whispers of nature, you are guided into meditation sessions that deepen your awareness and presence.
- Nature Walks and Hikes: Given the stunning location, it’s natural to complement yoga with explorative walks. You are encouraged to soak in the beauty of Glencoe, often accompanied by knowledgeable guides who offer insights into the region’s flora, fauna and history.
- Workshops: Occasionally, special workshops might be curated that delve into specific aspects of yoga, be it advanced postures, breathing techniques, or yogic philosophy.
- Retreats: Wild Yoga Glencoe might host retreats that span several days. These typically encompass yoga classes, meditation sessions, communal meals, and activities like campfires, ensuring that you immerse deeply in both yoga and the surrounding environment.
- Seasonal Offerings: Depending on the time of year, there might be specialized classes or events. For instance, a winter solstice yoga session or a spring awakening class.
Wild Yoga Glencoe provides the perfect escape to renew your body and mind. Venture into the wilderness on yoga hikes, experiencing nature through mindful movement. You can also enroll in 200-hour Yoga Alliance accredited trainings to deepen your knowledge and practice. Let the beauty of the Scottish Highlands wash over you as you breathe, reflect and recharge.
4. EcoYoga (Scotland)
- Website: https://www.ecoyoga.org/hold/
- Address: Inverliever Lodge, Ford, Argyll, PA31 8RH, Scotland
EcoYoga is an esteemed retreat centre, nestled in the remote highlands of Scotland. Founded with a vision to intertwine the practice of yoga with sustainable living and a deep respect for the natural environment, EcoYoga embodies principles of eco-friendly living, emphasizing self-sufficiency and a harmonious coexistence with the surrounding landscape.
The retreat centre is situated at Inverliever Lodge, Ford, Argyll, PA31 8RH, Scotland. Set against a backdrop of lush forests, gushing waterfalls, and serene lochs, the location provides an ideal setting for introspection, rejuvenation, and immersion in the ancient practice of yoga.
When you choose to embark on a retreat at EcoYoga, you are invited to experience a holistic approach to well-being. Their primary focus revolves around the practice of Ashtanga yoga, but their offerings are diverse and cater to both novices and experienced practitioners. Apart from traditional yoga sessions, you can immerse yourself in guided meditation sessions, pranayama (breath control exercises), and workshops dedicated to deepening your understanding of yogic philosophy.
A distinctive feature of EcoYoga is its emphasis on connecting with nature. You can enjoy outdoor bathing experiences in naturally heated hot tubs beside waterfalls, participate in nature walks, or simply meditate by the tranquil loch. The retreat also boasts an underground sauna and a glass-roofed solar-powered studio, allowing you to practice yoga under the vast Scottish sky.
To fully benefit from the diverse offerings at EcoYoga, it is recommended to directly consult their schedule or contact the retreat centre. Depending on the time of year and availability, they frequently host guest teachers from around the world, providing you with an opportunity to learn varied styles and techniques.
5. Holycombe Holistic Retreat Centre (Cotswolds)
- Website: https://www.holycombe.com/
- Address: Holycombe, Whichford, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 5PH, UK
Positioned in the Cotswolds, an area celebrated for its rolling hills, historic villages, and verdant landscapes, Holycombe is set within a serene vale, providing an atmosphere of tranquillity and natural beauty. The land on which Holycombe sits has a rich history, reputedly once being the site of a holy well and later a Norman castle.
The centre’s address is Holycombe, Whichford, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 5PH, UK. With the intent of fostering healing, relaxation, and spiritual development, Holycombe offers an array of retreats, workshops and events.
When you choose Holycombe, expect an inclusive retreat experience beyond basic yoga. Participate in diverse practices catering to all levels, from beginner workshops to master classes. Sample different yoga styles like Hatha, Vinyasa, Kundalini, Yin and more. Complementary mindfulness and meditation sessions balance body and mind.
Furthermore, given Holycombe’s holistic emphasis, when you attend their retreats, you may also encounter additional therapies and workshops, such as sound healing, Reiki, tai chi, and dance. This multifaceted approach ensures that participants can immerse themselves in a range of therapeutic experiences that resonate with them, leading to deeper self-awareness and rejuvenation. Connect with Holycombe’s knowledgeable instructors in person or online for details on current retreats, courses and schedules.
6. Triyoga (London)
- Website: https://triyoga.co.uk/
- Address: Triyoga Soho, 2nd Floor, Kingly Court, Soho, London, W1B 5PW, UK
Triyoga is an iconic institution in the UK’s yoga and wellness sphere. Established in 2000 by Jonathan Sattin, it was born out of a vision to create the finest centre for holistic practices, integrating the three key areas of yoga, Pilates, and treatments to promote health, well-being, and personal growth. As its reputation grew, so did its offerings and reach, making it one of the leading wellness sanctuaries in London and beyond.
Its primary philosophy is rooted in providing the highest quality classes, delivered by some of the best teachers from around the world, within a space that evokes tranquility, inspiration and community.
Triyoga currently operates in several locations across London. One of its primary addresses is: Triyoga Soho, 2nd Floor, Kingly Court, Soho, London, W1B 5PW, UK. Other locations include Camden, Chelsea, Ealing, and Shoreditch, reflecting its widespread reach across the city.
When you sign up for Triyoga’s services, you can expect a diverse and enriching experience:
- Yoga Classes: Triyoga offers a comprehensive range of yoga styles, ensuring that you can find a practice that resonates with your needs and inclinations. Among the styles available are Vinyasa Flow, Dynamic, Iyengar, Yin, Restorative, Kundalini, Ashtanga, Anusara, and Jivamukti, to name just a few.
- Pilates: If you’re inclined towards core strengthening and conditioning, you can delve into the centre’s Pilates classes, available in both mat and reformer modalities.
- Barre: Merging ballet-inspired movements with elements of Pilates, dance, yoga, and strength training, the barre classes at Triyoga can offer you an invigorating workout.
- Meditation and Mindfulness: Recognizing the integral role of mental well-being, Triyoga offers guided meditation sessions, enabling you to cultivate inner peace, clarity, and heightened awareness.
- Workshops and Events: You have the opportunity to deepen your knowledge through specialized workshops and events. These often feature internationally renowned instructors and cover diverse topics from advanced asanas to yogic philosophy.
- Teacher Training: Should you feel a calling to teach, Triyoga’s teacher training programmes offer rigorous instruction across various yoga styles, ensuring you are well-equipped to guide others on their journey.
- Therapies: Beyond group classes, Triyoga boasts an array of therapeutic offerings ranging from massage and acupuncture to Ayurvedic consultations and osteopathy.
- Kids and Teens Yoga: Acknowledging the benefits of early exposure, the centre provides classes specially designed for children and teenagers.
7. The Zest Life (Isle of Anglesey, Wales)
- Website: https://thezestlife.co.uk/
- Address: Plas Cadnant, Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey, LL59 5NH, UK
Recharge in nature with The Zest Life, a premier wellness retreat rooted in the captivating landscapes of North Wales. Founded on principles of holistic living, The Zest Life facilitates inner growth through immersive yoga programmes and outdoor adventure.
Escape daily stresses by retreating to their tranquil base in Anglesey, known for rugged coastal beauty and serenity. When you choose The Zest Life, expect personalised sessions tailored to your level, whether a novice or seasoned yogi. Sample diverse practices like Vinyasa, Yin, Restorative yoga and meditation to find your fit.
Beyond the mat, The Zest Life infuses outdoor activities to deepen your mind-body connection. Try exhilarating pursuits like sea kayaking, hiking, open water swimming and paddleboarding. By synthesising yoga, nature and adventure, The Zest Life creates a profoundly restorative experience.
Get details on current offerings through their website and team. The Zest Life provides an inspiring sanctuary to nourish wellbeing, expand perspective and rediscover your authentic self.
8. Sharpham Trust (Totnes, Devon)
- Website: https://www.sharphamtrust.org/
- Address: Sharpham House, Ashprington, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 7UT, UK.
Sharpham Trust is a distinctive entity in the realm of holistic well-being, situated on a sprawling estate near Totnes in South Devon, UK. Established in the late 20th century, the trust is a beacon of mindfulness and sustainable living. Positioned alongside the serene River Dart, the estate comprises the historic Sharpham House, lush vineyards, and contemporary eco-friendly accommodations.
Rooted in a commitment to mindfulness and connection with nature, Sharpham Trust’s ethos resonates deeply with those keen on introspection, spiritual growth and ecological consciousness. As you embark on a journey with Sharpham Trust, you can anticipate a plethora of experiences:
- Mindfulness Retreats: A hallmark of Sharpham Trust is its emphasis on mindfulness. Here, you can immerse yourself in mindfulness retreats that are meticulously crafted to foster self-awareness, inner tranquility, and compassionate living. Through guided meditation, reflective walks, and group discussions, you engage in a transformative inner journey.
- Yoga and Meditation: While mindfulness remains at the core, you also have the opportunity to explore yoga sessions, often intertwined with meditation practices. These sessions aim to harmonize the body and mind, facilitating a holistic sense of well-being.
- Nature Connection: Leveraging its idyllic setting, Sharpham Trust offers retreats that prioritize nature connection. Through these retreats, you are encouraged to cultivate a deep bond with the natural world, understanding its rhythms, nuances, and inherent wisdom.
- Eco Retreats: In line with its sustainable ethos, you can partake in eco retreats that not only delve into personal well-being but also address broader ecological concerns, sustainability practices, and conscious living.
- Specialized Workshops: Periodically, the trust organizes workshops on specific themes, be it deepening meditation techniques, exploring the nexus between creativity and mindfulness, or understanding the foundations of Buddhist teachings.
- Volunteer Programs: Recognizing the value of service and community engagement, Sharpham Trust provides avenues for you to volunteer. This not only allows you to contribute to the trust’s initiatives but also deepens your own practice and understanding.
9. The Clover Mill (Malvern, Worcestershire)
- Website: https://www.theclovermill.com/
- Address: Cradley, Malvern, Worcestershire WR13 5NR, Uk
Find sanctuary at The Clover Mill, a singular wellness retreat housed in a restored 17th century Worcestershire flour mill. Steeped in heritage, The Clover Mill envelops you in an ambiance of tranquility and holistic healing.
Custom programmes nurture the mind, body and spirit. When you choose The Clover Mill, yoga forms the retreat’s foundation. Sample top styles like Hatha, Yin and Restorative yoga tailored to your experience level. Complementing yoga, mindfulness meditation retreats teach mental clarity and inner calm.
The Clover Mill also features unique spa therapies integrating Ayurvedic principles for full restoration. More than physical yoga, expect a fully immersive experience including healthy cuisine, treatments and relaxation in the serene countryside.
Refer to their website or team for complete details on current yoga retreats, classes and holistic offerings. The Clover Mill provides the perfect sanctuary to unwind, reconnect and revitalize your entire being.
10. Bala Brook Retreat (South Devon)
- Website: https://www.balabrook.org.uk/
- Address: Bala Brook, South Brent TQ10 9ED, Uk
Bala Brook Retreat Centre is a sanctuary for holistic well-being and spiritual exploration, located in the heart of Dartmoor National Park in South Devon, UK. This centre is ensconced in an area renowned for its stunning natural beauty, with rolling hills, pristine brooks, and ancient forests providing an idyllic backdrop for introspection and rejuvenation.
Bala Brook Retreat Centre’s history, while not as extensive as some ancient institutions, is grounded in a commitment to offer spaces conducive to spiritual growth, mindfulness, and physical wellness. The centre, over the years, has evolved to become a focal point for seekers and practitioners keen on delving deep into various holistic practices.
Upon entering the Bala Brook Retreat, you are met with a variety of opportunities tailored towards enhancing your well-being:
- Yoga Retreats: Bala Brook is known for hosting a diverse array of yoga retreats. When you choose to participate, you can be introduced to multiple styles of yoga, such as Hatha, Vinyasa and among others. The retreats are structured to be immersive, often combining asana practice with meditation, pranayama, and philosophical discussions.
- Meditation and Mindfulness: Beyond yoga, you can engage in retreats focused solely on meditation and mindfulness practices. These sessions are designed to aid you in cultivating inner stillness, clarity, and deeper self-awareness.
- Workshops: The centre offers workshops on a range of topics – from specific yogic techniques and practices to broader themes like holistic health, Ayurveda, or spiritual growth.
- Natural Integration: Given its location, Bala Brook offers activities that allow you to connect deeply with nature. Nature walks, silent reflection by the brook, or meditative practices amidst the greenery are integral components of many retreats.
- Personal Retreats: For those seeking solitude, Bala Brook provides the option for personal retreats, where you can spend time in introspection, away from the demands of daily life.
- Residential Stays: Beyond structured retreats, you have the option of longer residential stays, immersing yourself in the rhythms of the centre and deepening your practice over an extended period.
Take time for yourself to experience the profound benefits of yoga by booking a retreat in the UK. LotusBuddhas recommends taking time to release stress and return to your true nature through the guidance of expert teachers. Immerse yourself in a serene natural environment that invites relaxation and inner reflection. Try different yoga styles and complementary wellness therapies that meet your needs. We believe that after experiencing these yoga retreats, you will feel balanced, motivated and more connected to your authentic self.